.

Awareness, and to Stop Child Sexual Abuse and Child Abuse, committed by the catholic church, nuns and priest
and other Denomination Worldwide

Please be advised that some may find stories here Highly Uncomfortable & Upsetting to read.
" You shall Know the Truth and the Truth Will Set You Free.”

15 May 2017

Abuse survivors want their own personal records handed over from institutions


Adoption 1999
I remember being adopted to Fetcher’s at St.  Joseph Orphanage.
Just look at this piece of paper. Is this all I was worth as a child? To be dumped from one person to another, and when they were tired of me, they took me back to the orphanage, for more torment and pain.  

I wasnt even given a chance. I was only there 5 days! I have now been ripped apart. I feel like a little girl again, going through that abuse again, but this time its different. It's heart wrenching. I also asked for my medical records and any other records they had about me, and Sister Teresa told me that they had no medical records about me at all. I have copied it as it was on the paper, it was as though it was a photocopy out of a notepad. And there is the evidence that it was not my mother that handed me over to the orphanage. I was taken away from my mother, as she told her children years later. See the name:

Ann Shirley. WHO AM I??
The feelings we had when no-one picked us, are something that I will never be able to explain, but I felt it again on 4 May 1999. I phoned Sister Teresa in Auckland, the Good Shepherd nun, and requested details of the time I spent at St. Josephs orphanage. I never expected what I received in the mail to my request, and I experienced again the feelings of rejection when I read the report.

873

THOMASON.              ANN SHIRLEY

Admitted 30 – 5 – 1941.     Born 31 – 3 – 1941 at Wellington.    Mother Joan Thomason,   Nelson.    
Baptised St.  Ann’s,     Newtown, Wellington by Rev.  J.  Kelly 1 – 5 – 1941  Mary Fitzgerald
Sponsor.      
First Holy Communion 8 – 12 – 1950.     

Brought by Mrs.   Boyle,    St.  Vincent de Paul Society Wellington.

Left 31 – 12 – 1946 for adoption by Mrs.  Fletcher.     Returned
5 – 1 – 1947.      Left for  Nazareth House 14 – 5 – 1951.
                                                                                                   
***
 This is all I have of my 24 years in the two catholic church orphanages. How does it make me feel?  Worthless. No health records, No school records.  I wrote to the Good Shepherd Order of nuns and this is what they sent me in 1999, it was all they had about me. Not even my First Holy Communion Certificate did they send me.  Not even my Birth Certificate. I was nothing, I meant nothing to them. I was worth nothing to them, just another unwanted girl of the catholic church orphanages.

Nazareth House had a little note as well, They had not a word in it about my time spent down in Timaru with the Taylor family at 15years old when I was raped by a priest. It was well known that every person who came to the door to take their children out, or who had come to take other children away for the day had to sign their name in a book and the name of the children they took with them which was left at the from desk. There was always a nun at the front door she answered the phone as well as the front door, a girl or two work there as  well. The front door was well attended and no one could get in or out as they had to ring the door bell and the door was opened for them, the front door was kept locked at all times.  Ann
***
 ================================================

Survivors of abuse in Australian children's homes and orphanages have called for a new national strategy to secure the release of their own historic personal records held by churches and charities.
As the landmark royal commission into institutional child sexual abuse prepares to hand its report to the federal government by Christmas, a national summit has discussed how to give a voice to adults whose lives have been impacted by failings of record keeping and archiving systems in institutions around the country.
Care Leavers Australasia Network chief executive Leonie Sheedy said many survivors, including those who have given evidence to the royal commission process, have spent years trying to track down records about their time in institutional care.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4660909/abuse-survivors-want-their-own-personal-records-handed-over-from-institutions/?cs=7